OT: War of 1812

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu May 27 21:08:47 UTC 2010

At 5/27/2010 04:36 PM, Mullins, Bill AMRDEC wrote:
>Andy Jackson sure did.

And he didn't stop on time, either.

P.S.  The War of 1812 was clearly unimportant.  Nathaniel Hawthorne,
who was growing up during it (he was born in 1804) didn't ever write
about it (as far as I know, although I haven't read his late novels
or his French and Italian notebooks), even though there were
incidents off Salem and the North Shore at the time.  (He wrote about
almost every other war of the English-Americans.)  Perhaps he found
the sea serpent of 1817 more interesting to write about.

Joel