OT: War of 1812

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu May 27 23:34:08 UTC 2010

At 5/27/2010 07:08 PM, victor steinbok wrote:

>For the Prescott reference we may have Washington Irving and Cooper to
>thank. [http://bit.ly/d0A9vQ] I found nothing connecting the quote to
>Prescott prior to the Knickerbocker mention of it by quoting Cooper's
>text.

According to the Introduction to the State Univ. of New York Press
edition (1984) of "Lionel Lincoln, or, The Leaguer of Boston", Cooper
carefully researched the Battle of Bunker Hill, visiting Boston and
consulting books and documents.  This must have been before Feb.
1825, the publication date.  I do not recall if the editors report
whether Cooper interviewed anyone, or if so whom.

Joel