OT: War of 1812

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 28 04:57:56 UTC 2010

A couple of quick responses:

On the witness, the date confirms my suspicion--and this is likely the
testimonial that Swett used in his books (he does identify the surviving
witnesses by name).

The last bit (1794) also appears to confirm that the expression was in
use--I simply did not try to look for it hard enough since I mostly
dealt with top-level GB hits for Bunker Hill (single search pattern; and
was otherwise occupied with something else most of the day). Normally, I
would have done a more exhaustive search and back-up the conclusions
with more evidence.

I'll take a look at some sources in the meantime, while you're gathering
the other evidence. Thanks for the follow-up. One question that I have
is whether the interdating publications would serve to confirm the
memory of geriatric witnesses later or to "refresh" the memories they
might not have otherwise had.

VS-)