short take: lead--another meaning?

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 29 23:13:47 UTC 2010

I meant what I wrote:

"you can lead a statistical category at the end of the season"

"Goals scored" is a statistical category. So is "goals allowed" and
"assists". You lead in assists, and that applies at the end of the
season, but you never win in assists. Go back to your original quote:
"Gomez, who entered camp after becoming the first American player to
*lead* a foreign league in scoring...", where scoring is just another
statistical category.

If you have an instance where "lead" is used to mean "win", I would love
to see it. This isn't one.

DanG