"Mighty Lak A Rose"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 30 19:24:03 UTC 2010

Whoa! That is surprising! My memory is that it was a national hit or,
at least, nationally popular. I heard recordings of it by various
singers, black and white, when I was a child living in Saint Louis. As
a consequence, I've never connected the song with the *real* South or
even with East Texas, but, rather, with some Tin Pan Alley hack
looking for an easy buck.

Youkneverknow.

-Wilson

On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 3:04 PM, Bill Palmer <w_a_palmer at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Bill Palmer <w_a_palmer at BELLSOUTH.NET>
> Subject:      Re: "Mighty Lak A Rose"
>
> Wilson, my late mother-in-law (b. 1908, Moultrie GA) and now you, are the
> only ones I've ever known to sing/recite that little verse.
>
> I wonder if anyoneoutside the southern US is familiar w/ it.
>
> Bill P

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain