On "sauntering" blacks

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon May 31 16:55:00 UTC 2010

The whites sauntered too in the 18th century:  In Hawthorne's "My
Kinsman, Major Molineux", Robin sees that "travelled youths,
imitators of the European fine gentlemen of the period, trod jauntily
along, half-dancing to the fashionable tunes which they
hummed."   (MKMM is set in two conflated periods, the 1730s and the 1760s.)

The source of African-American sauntering?

Joel