fling poo (UNCLASSIFIED)

Mon Nov 1 14:15:40 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

----------------------

------
> -
>
> "the very-faux Chinese collocation Hoo Flung Poo" -- I've only seen
"Who Flung
> Dung"
>
> ""One hung low") and others in infantile jokes" -- I've got a postcard
> somewhere of Chinatown with a prominent restaurant sign "One Hung Low"
--
> probably 1930s or 40s, if I recall.
>
> GAT
>
> George A. Thompson
> Author of A Documentary History of "The African Theatre", Northwestern
Univ.
> Pr., 1998, but nothing much lately.

Searching census and immigration records of Chinese from the late 19th
century makes me think that whoever recorded names of the inbound
immigrants had such an infantile sense of humor -- I remember names like
"Fuk me", "won hung low", etc.  It's possible that this is an accurate
transcription of real names, but I doubt it . .  .