Cool new verb: redensify

Tue Nov 2 21:09:33 UTC 2010

There is a fully accessible 1975 document at HathiTrust that uses the
terms "redensified" and "redensification" in the context of city
planning. The 1998 document cited by Geoffrey Nathan also uses
redensification together with redensify. The exact word "redensify" is
not present in this 1975 document.

There is a bonus word "pedestriancy" with three Google hits, and one
Google Books hit (this document).

Title: District of Columbia revenue act of 1975 hearings, ... pt.1
Published: Washington :U.S. Govt. Print. Off.,1975-
Permanent URL: http://hdl.handle.net/2027/mdp.39015077939828

If I have to categorize the objectives or the steps that we have--not
the steps, the objectives that we have to aim for I would say first
that we have to aim for pedestriancy. That is not only socially
desirable but physicially very sensible.

Today we can cut infrastructure costs by 80 percent if we had
rationally planned neighborhoods. We are physical panners (sic) and
have done studies to show this is possible not only in new land but in
here in the replanning or redensification of existing lands.

The first step then in doing this would be precisely to study the
density patterns and in redensified areas.

By doing that we reduce our street pattern you also reduce the costs
of installing infrastructure because sewer, water, electric lines,
paving systems all pretty much follow the street pattern, the road
paving system and you get tremendous reductions.

(End excerpt)

In my earlier message about matches in Google Books I left out the
word "not" in a sentence. I meant to say: "... I have **not** been
able to carefully check the dates and GB dates are not reliable."