And in (additional) honor of the Giants' World Series win...

Thu Nov 4 14:26:20 UTC 2010

The ADS archive contains discussions of "Chinese fire drill". I think
the following is the earliest cite found in 2005:

RHDAS has 1952(Leon Uris).  They have an indirect cite from "1942-45"  which
has the same meaning but says "fouled up like a Filipino at  fire-drill."

>From June 5, 1946, The Coshocton(OH) Tribune, p.8 (the  sports page--ed.)

"As far as Burton was concerned, everything was fouled  up like a
Chinese fire drill as Hogan finished with his plus 51 to lead  Lloyd
Mangrum."

Here is a promising raw match in Google Books for "Chinese fire
drill". Unverified but WorldCat agrees with the date. The snippet
displayed by GB does not show the target text:

PT boat: Bob Reed wins his command at Melville
Henry Bolles Lent - 1943 - 171 pages - Snippet view
"That's a load off my mind, believe me!" Bob exclaimed. "I was certain
that I had one of my navigation equations in the test fouled up like a
Chinese fire drill." "Maybe so — but you made the grade," Bill
replied.