cromulent

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 4 15:29:53 UTC 2010

You can't keep rights to a website if you don't use it, isn't that right?

Also, I think, anyone could purchase rights to any variant that no one has yet squatted on, e.g., <www.kromulent.com>,  <www.cromulentt.com>,  <www.cromulente.com>, <www.cromulentish.com>,   <www.kromulent.com>, <www.kromulentski.com>,  <www.kromulentskaya.com>,  <www.kromulentskawye.com>, <www.cromulent.net>, <www.cromulent.org>, <www.my-cromulent.com>, etc.

Also, you can't own a word (as Steve knows), though you can register a trademark for or associated with (e.g., as a slogan) a real product or service if you can convince the USPTO that it is not going to be confusable with someone else's trademark; that it is not generic; that it is not disparaging, scandalous, or obscene; etc.

And of course you cannot claim copyright (or patent) to a single word.

As for whether or not the word CROMULENT "should" be in the OED (or American Heritage, NOAD, Merriam-Webster, etc.), I leave that to the lexicographers, keeping in mind that if all the "fun" words were placed in a desktop dictionary one's desk would probably collapse.

I agree that Urban Dictionary is an "indispensable" collection of public opinion (and stuntful posturing, some of which borders on mere truthiness). But it is not a real dictionary any more than Fox News is a scientific poll of the political opinion of a cross-seciton of public opinion.