reach (?)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Nov 4 22:57:22 UTC 2010

I see that the Newport Mercury of July 7 and the Georgia Gazette of
Aug. 6 of the same year of 1766 have the same story -- and quite
clearly reproduce the "peach"!  *They* must have known ... or both
had particularly robotic typesetters.

Perhaps "peak"?  "The kitchen chimneys pass up through the peaks of
their respective roofs ..."  From The Western literary messsenger
..., 1853, vols. 20-21, page 137, in an article titled "Design for a
Farm House".  [GB, Full view.]  Perhaps the light house had a kitchen
shed with a peaked roof (and a kitchen would need a chimney), and the
chimney and kitchen were a high point on the light house, so
susceptible to a lightning strike?

Joel