a baby with a hammer

Fri Nov 5 05:11:04 UTC 2010

Ben helpfully points to the 1966 cite by Abraham Maslow in YBQ. Some
further progress has been made as discussed by Fred Shapiro on the NYT
Quotes Uncovered blog. Charlie Doyle found a great cite in 1962.
"Details will appear in the forthcoming Yale Book of Modern Proverbs."
YBMP is going to be an impressive reference work:

http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/29/quotes-uncovered-on-tools-and-problems/

After reading Fred's report I searched. The new benchmark is June 1962.

I like this reversal variant:
With all of Jane Eyre's restlessness but none of her independence, Liz
is the persecuted maiden in a Gothic melodrama: "when you feel like a
nail everything looks like a hammer," ...