reach (?)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Nov 5 14:33:31 UTC 2010

Interesting, although as Garson suggests we don't know why
lighthousefriends.com made this modification.  "Porch"  at least has
the same number of letters.  And under "porch" in the OED I find:

1929 Amer. Speech 5 124 'Piazzer' was the only term applied to a
veranda [sc. in the dialect of Maine]. The 'porch' was a sort of
extra shed-kitchen used as a laundry.

Perhaps someone can tell us from this article when it was that
"porch" was used to describe this structure.  However, this seems to
equate the "porch" with the "shed-kitchen/laundry".  In George's 1766
quotation the "Peach *belong[ed]* to the Kitchen".

I don't offhand see any definition under "porch" in the OED that
helps understand why one might belong to a kitchen.

Joel