shellacking

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 5 17:53:26 UTC 2010

 From my personal experience, I would find either restriction doubtful.
My own exposure to AAVE is limited and I've literally spent hours in the
"South" (suburban DC does not really count) and even that mostly driving
or flying through. Yet, even as a non-native speaker, I would describe
the expression as common, perhaps mostly in sports (ESPN) and business
(Dow Jones and other indexes) contexts, but there are not many other
contexts where it could be used--except, of course, elections ;-)

     VS-)