shellacking

Sat Nov 6 14:45:17 UTC 2010

I just looked for some more examples of "shellac" in the Hartford
Courant (Connecticut). There is another instance in 1923 that occurs
about a week after the "CUBS SHELLAC REDS, 2 TO 0" example. Below
might be the second earliest known example of "shellac" being used to
describe one entity besting another entity in some type of contest or
struggle, i.e., Obama's general usage.

Cite: 1923 July 2, The Hartford Courant, "YANKEES SHELLAC ATHLETICS BY
4-0 COUNT, MAKING CLEAN SWEEP", Page 7, Hartford, Conn. (ProQuest)

New York. July 1--The New York Americans made a clean sweep of their
four game series with Philadelphia, winning today by a score of 4 to
0.

(I could not locate "shellac" in the body of the article. The OCR
results on the degraded text in the body this article are probably
terrible. Except for the headline this article is largely opaque to
full text searchers I suspect: like so many articles.)

Here the game is a shutout as in the earlier instance. It is also the
last game of a clean sweep.

(The geographical distribution of instances is biased by the fact that
I lazily only looked in the Hartford Courant to find this.)
Garson