zealious

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton3 at VIRGINMEDIA.COM
Tue Nov 9 04:54:23 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 9:26 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Google finds a number of individuals sporting the given name "Zealious."
>
> Just now an "entertainment attorney" on CNN by phone from Stamford, Conn.,
> spoke of "a zealious prosecutor" and a "zealious prosecution."
>
> I expect the spelling will be cleaned up in the transcript. Maybe.
>
> / 'zElj at s /

Has anyone named "Mischevious" turned up?
--
-Wilson

I think (though I haven't checked) that this was an acceptable Elizabethan
spelling (indicating a four-syllable pronunciation), often associated with
the surname "Machiavel".

Thus Sir Walter Ralegh (pronounced "raw-ly", as in raw meat) was on
occasion, and perhaps justly, described as a "Mischievious Machiavel",
rhyming with "fiend from hell."

So it goes ...

Robin