response to Sam

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 11 15:30:25 UTC 2010

Judging by the continued general quality of the postings, I have not  driven away anybody. But most of the best minds in ADS rarely post, and many of them have indeed been driven away by the junk. As for Popik, I sometimes criticized his postings as excessive, suggesting that he save them up and put several in one e-mail; I also criticized his work when I thought he was especially n nitpicking or might have missed something (which is what scholars do), but I also had a lot of respect for his endeavors, and I said so rspeatedly. Unfortunately, he did not take well to criticism, and went away (not by any means in response to my occasional criticisms alone).

I have never suggested that anyone should go away. My theme has consistently been to request that people not treat the list as if it were a conversation space where anyone could feel free to report any mindless thing that happened to pop into their minds and report on every mistake or strange (to them) turn of phrase that they happen to see in seemingly endless hours of watching TV or listening to public radio.

It is more than a little ironic that Sam suggests that it would be a good idea for me to unplug ADS-L while in the same breath he suggests that I have driven away such luminaries as Popik--and unnamed other sadly lost putatively important contributors--with my very occasional complaints about the volume of nonsense that one must delete every day in order to get at the very occasional interesting bit.