"I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 18 02:30:47 UTC 2010

When I was taking Latin in high school, Mad ran a cover showing a Roman ruin
with the carved words, "QVID ME ANXIUS SUM?"

My Latin teacher kept insisting that it was ungrammatical and had to be "EGO
ANXIUS SUM?"

No matter how much I pointed out that "ME" was the only possible pronomibal
equivalent.  His defense was that the Romans never used an accusative ME for
a nominative EGO - no matter what!!

Sheesh.

But the larger question is, even with EGO, would a Roman have understood the
sentence as we understand it?  Or do we understand it?  Is the translation
really even close?

JL