"track record"

Thu Nov 18 18:41:34 UTC 2010

> According to the OED, "track record" derives from horse racing.
> Whether horse racing qualifies as a "sport" is open to question:  The
> activity is covered in the "sports" section of newspapers, but I
> always wonder who is the athlete--the horse or the rider or the owner.

The horses are often referred to as athletes by turf broadcasters, anyway.  I maybe don't see it in written racing commentary.  The jockeys are certainly athletes.

I recall many years ago a column by Red Smith in which he grumbled at the misuse of the expression "track record", which, in horse racing, doesn't mean a horse's record as a racer, but the fastest time ever run on a specific track for a specific distance: as, the track record at Saratoga for a mile and 3/8 on dirt is . . .

"Wine Police (7th, $7.10) jumped out to the lead, shook off Mythical Truth and favored Soldat turning for home, and widened to a 7 3/4-length debut triumph in 1:03.36, just missing J Be K's 5 1/2-furlong track record of 1:03.13 set in 2007."  (from a recent horse-racing blog by Dave Liftin, who also writes for the Daily Racing Form; found by a Google search for "track record" saratoga)

GAT

George A. Thompson