"Gossip and the news are the same, anymore."

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Thu Nov 18 19:10:20 UTC 2010

I've heard this too and wondered if it's by analogy to the
retroflexion or palatalization of /s/ before /(C)r/ as in [s,t,r,IN].
A doc student at Ohio State, David  Durian, I think, has written on
this and showed instrumentally that some speakers retroflex here and
others palatalize.  I'm a retroflexer, but I've heard both.

Herb