Most Notable Quotations of 2010

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Nov 20 02:30:41 UTC 2010

At 9:14 PM -0500 11/19/10, Shapiro, Fred wrote:
>I am now working on my list for the Associated Press of the top 10
>most notable quotations of the year.  By "notable" I mean
>"important" or "famous" or "particularly revealing of the spirit of
>our times" rather than necessarily being eloquent or admirable.
>
>Some of the possibiliities (many of them very helpfully suggested by
>Ben Zimmer) include:
>
>Government isn't what our Founding Fathers put into the Constitution.
>Sharron Angle
>
>I'd like my life back.
>Tony Hayward
>
>Dude, you have no Koran!
>Jacob Isom
>
>I'm going to take my talents to South Beach.
>LeBron James
>
>I'm not a witch.  I'm nothing you've heard.  I'm you.
>Christine O'Donnell
>
>We live in hard times, not End Times.
>Jon Stewart
>
>I would welcome suggestions of additional quotes from 2010,
>particularly ones from politics or popular culture or entertainment
>or sports or business or technology.
>
>Fred Shapiro

Did anyone have any response to Jon's posting from Wednesday re
"Don't retreat! Reload!"--

Is Sarah Palin really the coiner of this new proverb with over 1,000,000 raw
Google hits?

GB has nothing before SP, 2010.

?  If not, I think it's worth adding to the list.  At least it's
something she actually says (repeatedly), as opposed to "I can see
Russia from my house"....

LH