officially = 'conclusively; definitively'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 22 12:40:33 UTC 2010

CNN also reported over the weekend that the "fact" (in either the
traditional or the novel sense) that "the Wednesday before Thanksgiving is
the busiest air-travel day of the year" is "a complete myth."

I'm not entirely happy with "conclusively; definitively." John's "by
agreed-upon standard" works in connection with Memorial Day, but is probably
a different sense.

 Part of the trick of defining this is that you have to cast aside all
literal associations with "official."

The Battle of Britain really and truly brought devastation; Memorial Day
brings "summer" only by wishful thinking. (Unless this is a broader,
"unofficial" sense of _summer_.)

JL