Most Notable Quotations of 2010

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue Nov 23 18:43:52 UTC 2010

        Fred, is there a web page that compiles your various annual
lists of quotations?  I think it would be interesting to compare the
changes in character, if any, that appear from year to year.

        I think Fred is right to point out limitations in compiling a
list of notable quotations of the year, and I think these limitations
apply to any compiler, not just him personally.  Who in 1851, the year
that Moby-Dick was published, would have named "Call me Ishmael" as one
of the year's top quotations?  It can take a long time for the truly
notable quotations to come to the fore.

        In addition, sometimes a quotation has such a viral quality that
it is difficult to recognize it as new and identify its source.  I have
in mind such quotations as "It doesn't _do_ anything, that's the beauty
of it," originally a reference to the Red Hat Club, IIRC.

        In light of these considerations, high-profile quotations from
politics, entertainment, and news, easily recognized and readily
sourced, are likely to dominate.  In the most recent election, both
parties ran essentially on the negative message that they should be
chosen because they are not the other party.  Their messages were
relatively more positive in 2008, although of course there was plenty of
mudslinging then too.

John Baker