Geoffrey S. Nathan an6993 at WAYNE.EDU
Tue Nov 23 21:39:43 UTC 2010

I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to a resource on professional musicians' slang. 
A debate has arisen here about the expression 'players' used to refer to the musicians of a symphony orchestra. Some are saying that it's a sign of respect, while others say it's trivializing their talents. 
For reasons I won't go into, I am tangled in the current labor dispute some of you may have read about that is ongoing here in Detroit. 
Any thoughts anyone might have would be greatly appreciated. I know that professional violinists are called 'fiddlers' and 'orchestras' are called bands. I'm looking for similar evidence of jargon, but am away from any useful reference material. 

Many thanks 


Geoffrey Nathan 
C & IT and English 
Wayne State University 
Detroit, MI, 48230 
+1 313 577-1259 Sent from my Pre 

The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list