Can one ever overcome a bad reputation?

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Nov 25 14:13:26 UTC 2010

At 11/25/2010 12:21 AM, Paul Frank wrote:

> > In 1675 John Allyn advised Fitz-John Winthrop, "beware of haveing any
> > linguist in your company".
> >
> > (In passing, he didn't mean at the dinner table or tavern.)
> >
> > Joel
>
>What did he mean by "linguist"? A student of languages? A philologist?
>A polyglot? A skilled orator? A cunning linguist? (Heard that one in
>1982 and never had the opportunity to throw it into a conversation.)
>In 1675 he surely wasn't referring to practitioners of what's now
>known as the science of linguistics.

Someone who knows more than one language.  In
this case, English and one of the Algonquian
languages, particularly Massachuset.  This was
just before the outbreak of armed hostilities in
King Phillip's War, and the English were very
anxious about whether the Indian translators they
were employing were reporting truthfully.  And some weren't.

Joel

Joel