Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Nov 27 14:51:35 UTC 2010

At 7:44 AM +0100 11/27/10, Paul Frank wrote:
>Though the OED does have an entry for "habilitation" and one of the
>meanings of it is "qualification" (with a quotation from 1868), it's
>surprising that there's no proper definition of the current and
>important meaning of the post-doctoral academic qualification known in
>many European countries, including Germany and Switzerland, as
>"habilitation." For an excellent explanation of this by now _English_
>word, see:
>The German word "Habilitation" is sometimes translated as "State

which also serves as a literal translation of the
more-or-less equivalent French hurdle in years
past, the thèse d'état.  (State thesis?)  I
understand they have changed this degree to
a...habilitation. (Just pronounced with a
different accent.)


>sometimes as "postdoctoral lecture qualification," and
>sometimes as "post-doctoral thesis." But all of these are inadequate
>for various reasons. I frequently come across the word "habilitation"
>in English publications about continental Europe and I'm surprised
>that it's not in the OED.

The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org

More information about the Ads-l mailing list