DOTI (downgrading of text initialisms)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Nov 29 15:51:25 UTC 2010

At 11/28/2010 04:19 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>And the American way is nothing new, regardless of race, etc. When I
>was a child East Texas in the late '30's, I was accustomed to hearing
>conversations like the following:
>
>A. "Hi yew? Pooty good."
>B. "Unh-hunh. *Yo'* mama-nim?"
>A."Dass nice."
>B. "Yay-uh. Sho' 'nuff."
>
>A and B continue on their separate ways, each still totally immersed
>in his own thoughts.

OTOH (so I don't have to change the subject line), they were clearly
not psychiatrists, for whom the narrative would have been something like:

A.  Ho. Yew pooty good.  How'm I?
B.  Dass nice. Yew pooty good too.
A. and/or B.   Yay-uh. Sho' 'nuff.

A and B continue on their separate ways, each still totally immersed
in someone else's thoughts.

Joel