Partially Off Topic: Legal Status of Excerpts in Dictionaries and Quotation Books

Tue Nov 30 02:13:24 UTC 2010

Thanks for your response, John. There is an intriguing article that
appeared in the Wall Street Journal in 1992 about a man who composes
epigrams and successfully sues or threatens companies for copyright
violation.

Title: Exactly How Many Brilliant Thoughts Are There? 5,632. Mr.
Brilliant Wrote Them – And Copyrighted Them: You Must Know No. 1041
http://www.ashleighbrilliant.com/WSJ.htm

The examples in the article do not involve Dictionaries or Quotation
books. Yet, the examples do concern single epigrams in commercial
products.
Garson