Q: Two "cabinnes" in the same "rowme" (1674)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Oct 1 01:45:28 UTC 2010

At 9/30/2010 09:07 PM, George Thompson wrote:
>Perhaps two enclosed beds?  Enclosed by wooden sides rather than by  curtains?

Not impossible.

But I would like to see a quotation with a description of a
"cabin[ne] bed" or a "cabinet bed" somewhere else in the same period
-- or at least before airplanes and not on board well-berthed ocean
vessels.  (The OED has "cabin bed" = "a berth", with, oddly, just one
quotation, from 1719, Crusoe.)  Of the first 30 hits for "cabin bed"
in GB before 1900, not one I think is other than a berth aboard ship;
the same is the case for the entire about 23-30 hits before 1800.

There are "cabinet beds" by the 1870s (in English), but at least one
illustration is a bed that folds out from a cabinet, like a Murphy bed.

Joel