Singing in a dialect and "Authentic pronunciation"

Eric Nielsen ericbarnak at GMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 2 06:52:14 UTC 2010

There's an ongoing thread at this music (mostly harmonica) site,
harp-l.org, concerning performers singing in dialects they were not
born to.

Using the search terms "authentic pronunciation" in the site archive will
bring you to the thread listings:

http://harp-l.org/mailman/mmsearch/harp-l?config=harp-l&restrict=&exclude=&method=and&format=short&sort=score&words=authentic+pronunciation

Here are some samples:

"Yup, when i'm in the UK I get asked " wot part of Aussie 'r you from then"
In the States they think I'm english.

I remember years ago Brendan Power getting a laugh once by remarking after
he had just sung his 'Onion Blues' on a Newzealand stage "Why do we all sing
in American accents?"

Maori rappers in NZ all sing like they come from inner city Stateside yet
when they are being interviewed or whatever, out comes a broad kiwi accent.

But hey,I have heard some singers at an Irish 'session' try to sound like
they come from Dublin ;-)

Rick

in the land of fush an' chups"

http://harp-l.org/mailman/htdig/harp-l/2010-September/msg01175.html

"...Hearing non-Americans trying to do an American pronunciation is not a
turnoff to me, though I must admit to absolutely never seeking out the music
of, say, Italian blues bands. Unless a band has something new to say, I'd
rather hear the original.

What absolutely kills a record for me is to hear a white American band
playing well in the first few bars, followed by a white singer who tries to
use English like a Black Mississippi man from 1930. I get the same feeling
when I hear those horrible old Amos and Andy radio shows from the 1930's.

I run away screaming, often leaving a Deifik-shaped hole in the drywall."

http://harp-l.org/mailman/htdig/harp-l/2010-September/msg01058.html

“I have followed this thread with interest and some amusement. I guess it is

a worldwide phenomenon.

Here in Ireland singers who aspire to the 'big time' seem to think that it

is necessary to sing in what they believe is an "American" accent.

I silently applaud anyone I hear singing in their natural locally acquired

voice: Dolores Keane or Frank Harte for example.

As for non-native speaking guys singing in Gaelic (self included) Lets not

go there!

Beannachtai

Aongus Mac Cana”

http://harp-l.org/pipermail/harp-l/2010-September/msg01188.html

In the case of other performance artists, I have noticed that many actors
have a command of dialects (?) that sounds very convincing to my ear. How
many of the general public know that Hugh Laurie is British or didn’t
readily accept Cate Blanchett as American when she acted in “The Gift” or
“The Shipping News”.

To paraphrase an old song, do you have to live the life you sing about in
your song?

Hope this is of interest to some,

Eric