Antedating "the yips" OED 1963-->1943 :: Fwd: "yips" - Word of the Day from the OED

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Oct 2 19:12:23 UTC 2010

At 9:47 AM -0400 10/2/10, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>FWIW, I've encountered this expression only in golfing contexts or in
>writings by self-confessed golfers.
>
>Unlike the willies, the jumps, the heebie jeebies, the screaming meemies,
>etc.
>
>JL

I could have sworn that it was also applied to baseball players, e.g.
to Steve Sax, a second baseman who suddenly for no obvious reason
began to find it impossible to make the short throw to first.  I'll
try googling "Steve Sax" + "the yips"...yup, 270 hits, including
references to another Yankees second baseman, Chuck Knoblauch, and
various other non-golfers.  I think it's significant that it usually
(always?) comes up in a baseball context either for a second baseman
(who makes the shortest throw to first, as opposed to shortstops or
third-basemen) or the catcher tossing the ball back to the pitcher.
A catcher who just can't throw base stealers out at second just has a
bad arm, not the yips.  And it's often "a case of the yips", which
comes on suddenly and without explanation like cases of other
afflictions.

LH