Singing in a dialect and "Authentic pronunciation"

Ann Burlingham ann at BURLINGHAMBOOKS.COM
Sat Oct 2 20:24:58 UTC 2010

On Sat, Oct 2, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Some actors of a later generation are indeed brilliant at dialects,
> however.  I especially remember Londoner Emily Loyd as a Kentuckian girl in
> _In Country_ (1988).  Real Kentuckians with linguistic training may have
> found grounds to cavil, but she sounded perfectly authentic to me.  Mel
> Gibson seems to have wowed 'em in Oz with his fake accent.

Which accent? And at what point do people's accents change?

I've heard Australian actor Anthony LaPaglia talk about his accent,
wrt Mel Gibson - that they both came to act in the States at a time
when there seemed to be no question that they'd adopt American
accents. He had to relearn his Aussie accent to star in "Lantana".
What did they call Alistair Cooke's accent, mid-Atlantic?  So perhaps
LaPaglia's is mid-Pacific. (According to his friends back home, my
Queenslander partner Jason's accent is "Americanised", although I'm
not sure any American would notice much - though he does pronounce
more "r"s, when I listen closely.)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/films/2002/08/02/anthony_lapaglia_lantana_interview.shtml