"Authentic pronunciation" - but does she creak?

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 3 01:16:15 UTC 2010

Tom,

Creaky voice is one of several glottal states that languages can use.
In English we're accustomed to voiced and voiceless, but in Hindi and
many other Indian languages, as well as elsewhere, there are murmured
or breathy voiced sounds that contrast with voiced sounds.  In Hindi,
these are spelled with an <h> after a consonant, so in the name
Gandhi, the /dh/ is breathy voiced.  In Hausa and other languages
there are creaky vs. voiced vs. voiceless sounds.  All of these can be
involved in phonemic contrasts.  They are not suprasegmental in these
languages.  But they can be suprasegmental, as in the West Coast US
effect you mention.  Creaky voice and breathy voiced or murmured are
standard terms in phonetics.

Herb