The [1749 Cleland "freak out"] and friends

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 3 17:09:06 UTC 2010

 Joel is undoubtedly correct.

"Freak-out" (n.) and to "freak out" (v.) emerged suddenly into media culture
ca1966 from the psychedelic hippie subculture.  The evidence for this is as
clear as it can be. Both terms were staples in period reporting on the use
of hallucinogens.  My queries among hippies and non-hippies ca1970-75 found
nobody who would even tentatively date either noun or verb to the
period before ca1965. HDAS adduces a somewhat surprising cite of the
transitive verb from Lenny Bruce dated by a secondary source to 1964. (Bruce
died of a heroin overdose in August, 1966; I now suspect that the actual
date of the citation may have been 1965-66.)  The earliest writers qtd. in
HDAS were all familiar with the recreational-drug subculture which became
more newsworthy than ever ca1964-65 with the introduction of LSD.

To "freak out" (intrans.) was defined in the media specifically as meaning
to have a "bad trip" on LSD that resulted in panic or bizarre behavior. Even
among hippies themselves, partakers of LSD or mescaline were advised to have
a sober friend on hand to help them in case of a freak-out.

The noun seemed to come directly from the verb. The verb soon came into wide
use in the extended sense of "to panic; fly into a rage; lose emotional
control; be astonished, etc." The noun was similarly used ("an instance of
..."), though less often.  The general spread of both idioms appears to have
been from drug users to high-school and college students to the middle
class.

There is no real possibility that either the current noun or verb existed in
their 1960s senses in the 18th C.   In forty years of research I have never
encountered the phrase to "have one's freak out" in American English - and,
FWIW, not very often in British English either.

The modern idioms are unrelated to Cleland's "freak" in the sense of  a
"whim."

See HDAS I for much more on "freak (out)."

JL