The [1749 Cleland "freak out"] and friends

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Sun Oct 3 18:00:21 UTC 2010

Jon, I think there are two questions:

(1)  Do the Cleland quotation and the 1852 "I accordingly waited
until he had his freak out, when I found that he became more placid
in his temper" both pertain to an intense emotional experience, and
this belong more with the noun "freak-out" than with "to have a freak
out" = "conclude something"?

I agree that the break-out of freak-out and freak in the 1960s has
much more aura and body, but if the 1749 and 1852 quotations
generally fit there then aren't they possible evidence for a
low-flying continuity?

(2)  Are the other two "had his/her freak out" quotations, 1837 and
1840, useful additions to the I-believe zero OED quotations for the
"conclude something" sense together with "freak"?

Joel