"bully pulpit"

Mon Oct 4 16:13:08 UTC 2010

"bully" still survives (sort of) in its original sense in the frozen expression "Bully for you!" Otherwise, my intuition is that nobody who was born after about 1899 says "bully" in the sense 'great' or 'powerful'; those people are not linguistically influential. Therefore, it is not surprising that most people interpret "bully pulpit" as a noun-noun construction. Most people are not "confused," they just speak 21st Century American English. Or so historical linguistics teacheth.