"Pride feels no cold"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Oct 5 23:35:50 UTC 2010

Having encountered "pride feels no cold" in a 1722 tract, and
sinfully not yet having the YBQ at home, I Googled Books for anything
earlier.  To my pleasure I was told "No results found for 'pride
feels no cold'."  (No verse intended.)

Below that is the usual "Results for pride feels no cold (without
quotes):", where the very first work listed is 1683, and contains
"their own foolish Pro. verb Fride feels no cold':" !

Who would'a thought?

(Interestingly, my 1722 passage has similarities to the 1683
text.  The 1683 text is:

And however our Gallants hope to keep themselves warm, and to shelter
their sin under the skreen of their own foolish Pro. verb Fride feels
no cold': yet God.has oftentimes made their fin to become their punishment, ...

The 1722 text is:

I am apt to think, that our Hoop Gallants find not sufficient Warmth
under the Skreen of their foolish Proverb (Pride feels no Cold) in
some Seasons.

A "hoop-gallant" is a woman who shows off in a hoop skirt, and the
writer thinks wearing hoop skirts is sinful.)

Joel