ont/ahnt (UNCLASSIFIED)

David Wake dwake at STANFORDALUMNI.ORG
Wed Oct 6 17:06:13 UTC 2010

Wikipedia has an article on the 'father-bother merger":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_English_low_back_vowels#Father-bother_merger

According to Wells, it's only in Newfoundland, Eastern New England and
(partly) New York City that they are distinguished within North
America.  Outside North America (including the Caribbean) they are
distinguished by all native accents of English.

David

In Boston/Eastern New England