In defense of local dialects. Or not.

Wed Oct 6 20:13:53 UTC 2010

I've noticed [taen] (with retracted [ae]) a lot from my Michigan-born students.  Especially the women.  It's part of the Northern Cities Vowel Shift-- you get either retraction (to [E] with two dots, roughly where Scottish "tin" is), or retraction + lowering, giving you [taen] with two dots, roughly my NY/NJ vowel in "cat".   But has it spread beyond the Great Lakes, anyone?

Paul Johnston