ont/ahnt (UNCLASSIFIED)

Dan Goodman dsgood at IPHOUSE.COM
Wed Oct 6 20:52:43 UTC 2010

Paul Johnston wrote:

> Dan,
> You come from farther north in the Hudson Valley than I do--I merge them, as (pace Wells) people from New
York City would.  I wonder if your area doesn't connect with New England
in this regard, and wonder if
people in the Albany/Troy/Schenectady area would distinguish them, too.
(in other words, how far west does
rounded LOT go?)

Note that I don't know whether people younger than me raised in the same
  area would or wouldn't merge them.  I'm told that people raised in
Kingston now sound like NYC people.  I was raised in a more rural area,
about ten miles west; dialect change is probably slower there.

There was immigration from New England.  I don't know how the numbers
compared to those of English-speaking immigrants from the NYC area.  Or
elsewhere -- some British immigrants (including those who settled in
Ireland Corners) probably spoke Ulster Scots more than English.

And, of course, there's also possible influence from Dutch.  And
possibly from French, Low German, High German, Frisian....  Put all
together, working out all the possible influences could easily be a
lifetime project.