'Ministers Do More Than Lay People'

Wed Oct 6 22:52:51 UTC 2010

TV Evangelists (Ministers, Clergy, Preachers) Do More Than Lay People.

This joke template exists in the late 1980s (and possibly before). It
is applied to the scandals involving television evangelists by 1988.
The quip is credited to Stanley Ralph Ross by the early 1990s. Here
are selected cites in chronological order.

Cite: 1988 March 4, Charlotte Observer, FRIDAY by Doug Robarchek, Page
1B, Charlotte, North Carolina. (NewsBank)

Literary Corner: FLASH! Jimmy Swaggart and Jim Bakker collaborating on
new book. Working title: "Preachers Do More Than Lay People."

Cite: 1988 June 7, USA Today, "BATON ROUGE, La. - The July issue of
Penthouse is a hot seller in the backyards of warring preachers Jimmy
Swaggart of Baton Rouge and Marvin Gorman of New Orleans", Gannett
News Service. (NewsBank)

Since then, Swaggart has said he will not comment on the Penthouse article.

At the Baton Rouge magazine shop, clerk Bruce Abbot was standing next
to the cash register emblazoned with the bumper sticker - also a best
seller - which reads "TV Evangelists Do More Than Lay People."

Cite 1990, "637 Best Things Anybody Ever Said" by Robert Byrne, (GB
Page Number 21), Atheneum, New York. (Google Books snippet view; Data
may be inaccurate; Not verified on paper)

Do television evangelists do more than lay people?
                     Stanley Ralph Ross

Cite: 1991 October 27, San Antonio Express-News, "DONEGAN Parson Jimmy
Swaggart's Lizards", Page 3M, San Antonio, Texas.

After the private and public escapades of Jim Bakker and Jimmy
Swaggart in 1987 and 1988, a fellow by the name of Stanley Ralph Ross
asked, with understandable perplexity, "Do televangelists do more than
lay people?"

Garson