Aunt; was Re: "Authentic pronunciation" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Barbara Need bhneed at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 7 01:09:29 UTC 2010

I  was corrected by my fourth grade (MA) spelling teacher. I have just
moved from near Cleveland and said that we had gone out to visit my
[Ant] and she asked me if I meant the little black insect and I said
no, my mother's sister, and she said, you mean your [Ont] (low back
rounded vowel). Of course, I meant nothing of the sort. Just one more
contribution to my decision NOT to adopt the accent of the Northern
Shore.

Barbara

Barbara Need
Ithaca