Chile

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 7 01:21:57 UTC 2010

Back in my day (1950s), "Chile" was pronounced like "Chilly."

"Chilean" was pronounced as "chillyin." But since then "ChilAYan" has become
the media standard because it sounds more Spanishy. Sort of.

Similarly "Chilly" has become the media "Chee Lay" because it sounds more
Spanishy.

However, today I heard Tony Harris on CNN utter a new pronunciation that
sounds like an American trying to sound Spanishy no matter what: "ChillAY."

Like _Ole_!

JL