Chile

David Wake dwake at STANFORDALUMNI.ORG
Thu Oct 7 02:46:10 UTC 2010

"Chile" is still mostly pronounced "chilly" in Britain, although the
faux-Spanish pronounciation seems to be starting to making inroads
ther.  Another one is Uruguay, which is traditionally pronounced with
an initial  /j/: Yuragway.  I've heard some US commentators say
Ooragway (no initial /j/), and the last syllable may have the FACE
vowel instead of the traditional PRICE.  And Colombia sometimes has
LOT instead of STRUT in its stressed syllable.

I have yet to hear any English-speaker pronounce "Brazil" as Bra-zee-oo, though.

David