Aunt; was Re: "Authentic pronunciation" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 7 02:59:24 UTC 2010

At 5:59 AM +0400 10/7/10, Jocelyn Limpert wrote:
>I refuse to say "vahz," even though the rest of America thinks that's how it
>should be pronounced. ..to me, it's another affectation and people feeling
>it's the "proper" way for so-called "educated" people to speak.
>
>I should just wear earplugs!
>
>jl

More useful is retaining both pronunciations, along with the
distinction that many of my students draw between a "veys" (less than
$300) and a "vahz" (over $300), as discussed on a thread here awhile
back.  (If it's worth exactly $300, you can just smash it to
smithereens.)

LH