Singing in a dialect and "Authentic pronunciation" (UNCLASSIFIED)

Herb Stahlke hfwstahlke at GMAIL.COM
Thu Oct 7 15:52:34 UTC 2010

The reason has to do with articulation and sonority.  The American
retroflex r pushes the root of the tongue back into the throat cavity,
which is the largest resonator in the vocal tract.  This constricts
the throat cavity and reduces sonority, which, in choir director
terms, damps the sound.  Choir directors and voice coaches don't like
sounds that do that, hence the r-lessness of good choirs and singers,
including Motown.

Herb