"white wine"

Thu Oct 7 17:44:10 UTC 2010

The local library has only vols. 1-4 of DARE -- I thought it had been said here that the last volume had appeared, but I don't see it in Global BIP -- but however that may be:

. . . the sellers of "white wine," as they denominate that article, which is neither more nor less than buttermilk. .  . .
New-York Evening Post, July 10, 1830, p. 2, col. 3, from NYConstellation

GAT

George A. Thompson