Anglicization

Paul Frank paulfrank at POST.HARVARD.EDU
Fri Oct 8 15:44:31 UTC 2010

This (in my opinion silly) habit of pronouncing foreign names the
foreign or pseudo-foreign way when speaking English only works with
languages with which English speakers are familiar or vaguely
familiar. In the next few days we are all going to hear all sorts of
attempts to pronounce the name of Liu Xiaobo (several of whose
articles I'm a little proud to say I had the honor of translating for
Human Rights in China when Liu Xiaobo was known to virtually no one
outside or inside China). Chinese names are too foreign to be
pronounced the Chinese way in English.

Paul