"Stop digging."

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 11 12:51:43 UTC 2010

G. Legman traced the "Don't make waves!" joke at least back to the early
'30s.  It was discussed here in 2004 (with a demonic hydroplane added in
Wilson's 1957 hearing of it).

It makes me wonder if "Don't rock the boat!" comes from a version of the
same story, though that advice is undoubtedly more practical.  (If you're
not in hell, anyway.)

JL