"Don't rock the boat!"

Mon Oct 11 15:45:41 UTC 2010

The Yale Book of Quotations has "Don’t rock the boat" listed as a
Modern Proverb with a citation of: N.Y. Times, 19 Feb. 1909.

Below is an excerpt from an 1891 article with the title "DON'T ROCK
THE BOAT" that appears in an Iowa paper. The phrase is used
metaphorically. (There are earlier instances in which the phrase is
used non-metaphorically as part of boating safety instructions.)

1891 July 17, Iowa Postal Card, Don't Rock the Boat, Page 7, Column 2
and 3, Fayette, Iowa. (NewspaperArchive)

Steer clear of the rock of distrust
Steady, there, we are almost in deep water.
In heaven's name, brothers, don't rock the boat—Topeka Advocate.

Garson